Local historical sites are divided into Plantations, Churches, Commerce and Education. Descriptions and images of the historical sites are below.
Along the James River, plantations sprang up from the early land grants. Tobacco was the ďgoldĒ of the colonies requiring expanses of land and labor to support that economy. Although owner names have changed, many of the plantation homes still stand and a drive along the roads that surround them is truly a step back in time. Note: Unless noted otherwise, sites are privately owned and not open to the public. Please contact the Heritage Center for more information.
Evergreen, a plantation home built by the Ruffin family in early 1800ís. Birthplace of Edmund Ruffin, noted agriculturist and secessionist, who worked extensively on revitalizing the depleted soils of Prince George County farms. National Register Property.
A late eighteenth century home, Aberdeen, was built by Thomas Cocke. Its unique architectural features include hand-done reeding around windows and doors, unique mantels in each of the main rooms, and a transverse hallway that opens for ventilation at each end. The farmland of Aberdeen was a site of agricultural experiments by Edmund Ruffin. National Register Property.
A land patent granted to Captain Francis Eppes at City Point in 1635, the plantation house was built in 1763, Appomattox Plantation. Served as headquarters for General Grant circa 1864-65. Annexed by the City of Hopewell in 1923. Now owned and operated by the National Park Service as a part of the Petersburg National Battlefield. Open to public, seasonal hours may be in effect. Please call ahead: (804) 732-3531 x0. 1001 Pecan Avenue, Hopewell, 23860. National Register Property.
Land grant in 1616 to John Martin, an original Jamestown settler. Martinís Brandon Plantation features a house built in 1765 by Nathaniel Harrison. The plantation remains an active farm enterprise, one of the longest running agricultural operations in the United State. National Landmark Property.
Upper Brandon, divided from the original Brandon land in 1807, features a main house erected in 1825 with wing additions completed in 1859. Originally home to William Byrd Harrison. Continues to be an active farming operation. National Register Property.
Built by Williamson Simmons on Second Swamp near present day Disputanta, Chester Plantationís architecture of Greek Revival was unique to the county in 1845. It was later owned by local philanthropist and business leader, Remmie Arnold. National Register Property.
This early grist mill (date unknown) at Leeís Mill Pond was the site of a Civil War skirmish in 1864.
Founded with a 1618 land grant to Sir George Yeardley, Flowerdew Hundred was the site of the first windmill in North America. In 1864, forty percent of the Union Army crossed the river here using a pontoon bridge and landing at Windmill Point. National Register Property.
Bland Family Cemetery near the site of the family home on Jordanís Point. Believed to be the burial site of Richard Bland along with thirty-eight other family members. Owned and maintained by the Prince George Regional Heritage Center. Open daily. Jordan Parkway: first right turn inside Jordan on the James.
Throughout its history, the churches of Prince George County have served as more than just houses of worship. They have been focal points for a wide variety of community and cultural activities as well as strongholds in the history and heritage of the area. Note: Unless noted otherwise, sites are not staffed full time. Visitors are encouraged to contact the Center to arrange a tour/visit. ((804)863-0212 or PGHistory@aol.com)
Fourth church structure for Martinís Brandon Parish, established as part of John Martinís land grant, 1616. Original church and its replacement located at the plantation of Martinís Brandon, believed to be at a location still known today as Church Pastures. Burrowsville became home for the third and fourth church structures. Communion silver dates to the 17th century. 18706 James River Drive, 23842
400 Years of Worship - Link to Progress Index story and photos on the church's 400th anniversary on March 3, 2018.
Merchantís Hope Church, parish was established in 1657. Building constructed circa 1740 and remains an active parish church, one of the oldest in the nation. The parish possesses a 1639 New Testament attached to a 1640 Old Testament. 11500 Merchantís Hope Rd. 23860
Established in 1714 and believed to be the first Baptist Church in Virginia, Oakland Baptist Church became the Oakland Czech-Slovak Baptist Church in 1923. It remained primarily a Czech speaking group until the 1950ís. 12601 Prince George Drive, 23842
Congregation at Garyís United Methodist established as part of the revival of Methodism in 1787. Current building dates back to 1880. 13501 Sunnybrook Rd, 23805
Founding of Shiloh Baptist Church was founded in 1836. Its current church building, from 1884, stands on original site near the village of Carson. 18310 Halifax Road. 23830
Dating back to 1844, the original Sycamore Church was located two miles east of its current location. Skirmishes in the Great Beefsteak Raid took place here. The present day structure was built in 1875, using salvage from the original as much as possible. 9710 Old Stage Road, 23875
Faith Lutheran Church, deeded in 1858 as Mount Sinai Methodist. Congregation of Faith Lutheran purchased building in 1972 after Mount Sinai merged with the congregation of Newville United Methodist Church. 8211 Prince George Drive, 23875
Pleasant Grove Baptist Church was organized in 1865 by freed slaves. Services were held under a bush arbor until a small log building could be built. The second church building remains a part of the Prince George Courthouse community, no longer used by its original congregation. 4405 Prince George Drive, 23842
African American Congregation first established in 1865 as Harrison Grove Baptist Church. Founders from First Baptist Church, Harrison Street, Petersburg. A schoolhouse where black children went to elementary grades is also on the property. 10415 Merchantís Hope Rd, 23860
Established in 1875 as non-denominational, Rosewood Presbyterian Church became Presbyterian in 1927. Its name comes from the donor of the land (Rosa) as well as for the woods that surrounded the chapel in its early years. 5500 Oaklawn Blvd (Route 36), 23860
Trinity United Methodist Church, 1883, established as the union of three churches: Warwick, Centerville, and the new Disputanta church. 10021County Drive, 23842
Gregory Memorial Presbyterian Church originally held services in the 1883 County Courthouse. Named for its founding minister, the Rev. William F.C. Gregory, its original sanctuary still stands in the center of the County Courthouse community. 6300 Courthouse Road, 23875
One of the earliest Slovak churches, Bethlehem Congregational Church was established in the community known as Begonia in 1894, meeting at the Mistr home. The Church structure was completed in 1898.
10501 Pole Run Road, 23842
From our earliest days, Americaís entrepreneurial spirit has been an important part of life in Prince George County. Here are some key locations that played a part in the history of Commerce within the County.
The Bank of Carson was founded in 1911. This current building dates from 1927. It is one of several local banks that merged to form what is today the Bank of Southside Virginia.
Built circa 1870, the F.L. Buren Store supplied both visitors and the courthouse community until it closed in 1983. Its location along the old stage route and across from the courthouse made it a focal point.
Cummingís Store, date unknown, is one of many smaller general stores that populated the County during the twentieth century.
Railroads were a key to growth in the 19th century. The rail town of Carson was established between 1890 and 1910. The depot building now serves as a branch library for the Appomattox Regional Library System.
Disputanta was established in 1853 as a thriving railroad community, one of several in the County. This rail underpass (circa 1914) remains in use today.
The Richard Bland College of the College of William and Mary was established by the General Assembly in 1960. Richard Bland is the only Junior College in the Commonwealth and named after a County native son and patriot.
Built originally in 1956 for African-American students, the J.E.J. Moore School was named for an early black educator who served as head of the Disputanta Training School. In 1964, the J.E.J. Moore principal, Dr. William Clayborn, became the first African-American principal in a Virginia integrated school.
Site of the Disputanta Training School, where African-American
students were educated until J.E.J. Moore School was built. After 1956, the school became the Bessie Mason Elementary School.
Now N.B. Clements Junior High
School, Prince George School was built in 1953 to serve while elementary and high school students at the school district of Hopewell and Prince George split into separate units. The building later became the County High School.